1. The story, summarized.
2. What does this teach us about Jesus Christ?
3. What does this teach us about ourselves?
4. Why did it occur when it did?
5. Why were Moses and Elias present?
6. What other event in our Lord’s life has obvious similarities to the Transfiguration?
7. Blessing of fruit, especially grapes.
8. OT Scripture for the Feast
9. The most important “take home message” scripture for the feast.
We say today, brothers and sisters, that humanity can meet Divinity; Humanity can see Divinity; Humanity can be part of Divinity.
In the Old Testament Moses, saw the back parts of God; he was hidden in the cleft of a rock; he didn’t see that much . But now, face to face, man is with God. Jesus Christ showing He is fully God, shining as the light. …
As a portion of our Orthodox brethren are in the midst of the after feast of the Transfiguration, I thought I would make you aware of more Questions and answers abot this feast that serve as a catechetical instruction:
8. How did Jesus’ Transfiguration prepare the
apostles for His subsequent crucifixion?
9. Why were they heavy with sleep?
10. Why did the Apostles tell nobody about this startling event?
4. What made His raiment white and glistering? What occurrence in the OT proves it is possible for our “countenance to be altered”?
5. Moses and Elias conversation about events after their death proves and important truth about the dead, which a good part of those who profess to be Christians seem to not be aware of. What?
6. Why did Moses and Elias appear? What does each represent?
7. Why did Moses and Elias speak of Jesus’ upcoming passion? It would not be out of order to make an educated guess.
1. “And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.” (LUKE 9:28)
2. Why did Jesus take three of His disciples?
3. What were the practical considerations and spiritual meaning of Jesus ascending a mountain to pray?
When Christ was transfigured on the mountain, Moses and Elias appeared conversing with Him. Why were these two present, out of all the righteous of the Old Testament? The service texts explain this. There are two equally valid answers. One has to do with the respective ministries of the two saints, and… Continue reading Why were Moses and Elias with Christ on the mountain?
LISTEN NOW There is a startling contrast between Moses and Elias and the Apostles during the Transfiguration. The Apostles show they were not yet ready to fully experience Divine nature because of their sleepiness, confusion and fear. Moses and Elias were perfectly at peace in the midst of the uncreated light. Humanity was created to… Continue reading Transfiguration, 2008. Audio Homily. Human nature in the midst of the Divine.