St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, McKinney, Texas
December 5/ 18 27th Sunday after Pentecost
The Nativity of our Lord falls on Saturday, January 7th. We will have many services on the 6th, and Liturgy on the 7th. This is one of the great feast days of the Church. Please plan to attend.
Happenings in the Past Week at St. Nicholas
- We helped 2 parishioners borrow vehicles to be able to get to work. Working on more permanent solutions.
- Delivered Papa John's pizza and other foods to the Samaritan Inn on Wed and Sat.
- 800 miles of prison ministry. Met a man Fr Seraphim baptised in prison who has been released in Dequeen Ak at All Saints of America Orthodox church and made a regularly scheduled visit to the Hughes unit in Gatesville, TX. Planning to baptize Catechuman Vladimir Jan 11th.
- The Sisterhood is engaged in much planning for the Nativity Yolka.
- Praying for Anna, a local Russian Orthodox Woman in Hospice.
- Prison Pastoral Letter mailed to all men being seen.
- Other unspecified actions, helping with material needs people in the community and who have contacted the community.
- Vespers on Wed and Liturgy on Thursday (when all parishioners and those who are associated with St Nicholas and those on the public prayer list were commemorated by name in the Fervent Ectenia)
- Invited all local clergy to serve at our Patronal Feast (This Sunday, Vigil Sunday, 6PM, Liturgy, Monday 9AM for St Nicholas the Wonderworker)
- Deck almost done!
- Our pledged tithes are up to $3900/month.
"Mighty Mites" Collection
This week, we collected $450 for the building needs of Holy Cross Hermitage in West Virginia. They need $10,000 to finish the insulation, heating and A/C in Igumen Seraphim's cell. Fr. Seraphim is the deputy abbot of the monastery, and is recovering from cancer.
Next week we will collect funds for Russian American Community Services, which does charitable work both in the US and in Russia.
For the Health and Salvation.
- Alexandra (4 y/o girl wih brain cancer)
- Priests Jean and Grégoire and all the faithful and suffering of Haiti, and our sponsored household: Catherine and her family.
- The suffering people of East Japan.
Schedule of Divine Services in the Coming week
- 9:00AM Liturgy
- 7:00PM Vespers
- NO LITURGY
- 4:00PM Confession
- 5:00PM Vigil
- 10AM Divine Liturgy
Fasting in the Coming week
We are in the Nativity Fast. We fast from all animal products every day. Fish is allowed on weekends and certain saint's days; wine and oil are allowed on Tuesday, Thursday, and certain saints' days.