Services and Events this week (16th week after Pentecost)
Monday, September 10th:
6:30 pm Vigil for the Beheading of St. John the Baptist
Tuesday, September 11th: Beheading of St. John the Baptist
This is a fast day, in remembrance of the event described in Matthew 14:1-12, and whose character is depicted beautifully in the kontakion of the feast: "The glorious beheading of the forerunner is a certain divine dispensation, that the coming of the saviour might also be preached to those in hades. Lament, then, Herodias, for thou has demanded a wicked murder; for thou didst love neither the law of God nor eternal life, but one false and fleeting." Thus we see how this world, sunk in evil, treats the righteous, and how God brings forth good even from the evil deeds.
Saturday, September 15th:
3pm – Church Council Meeting
- 4pm – Confessions
- 5pm – Vigil
Sunday, September 16th:
- 10am – Liturgy
- 12pm – Trapeza (Lunch)
- 12:30 – Church School
- Please continue to pray for Dimitry, Olga and Vladimir Maximov, who will be returning to Dallas this fall for Dima's surgery.
- Our calendar of services is now available online at the following site: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=keeahidiiec6pld7f5ut1jr2r0%40group.calendar.google.com .
- Beginning soon, we will be discontinuing this weekly newsletter. Instead, we will have a bilingual monthly newsletter that will be distributed both in church and online at the start of each month. We will include a copy of the church calendar, announcements, and readings in both English and Russian. If anybody would like to assist with this project, please let us know.
- Our sunday school class for older children has resumed after summer break. We are meeting at 12:30 or so each Sunday, after we have had time to get something to eat. This year, we will be using the book The Incarnate God, which uses the cycle of the church's feast days to give a structured presentation of the essentials of our faith. Adults are welcome to participate. There is no homework for the class, but anybody who desires read the book may do so online, or purchase it, by using this link: http://tinyurl.com/2kg8q6.
- Please remember to support the parish. Financial contributions are very important, as is assitance maintaining the cleaning the church. If you would like to help but aren't sure what to do, just ask!
The Nativity of the Mother of God is on Friday, September 21st. We will serve Vigil and Liturgy.
The Exaltation of the Precious Cross is on Thursday, September 27th. This is a fast day. We will serve Vigil and Liturgy.