Preparation for Confession
Here are some aids in preparing for her confession and I found in my files the
following which I have given to parishioners at times to help them prepare. This
comes from no single source but is drawn from a number of places.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
- Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
- Thou shalt not make any graven image, or bow down before any
- creation in heaven or on earth.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not covet that which is thy neighbors.
COMMANDMENTS OF THE CHURCH
- To abstain for servile work on Sundays and Holy Days.
- To attend Divine Liturgy on Sundays and Holy Days.
- To fast and to abstain on the days appointed by the Church.
- To confess our sins and to receive the Holy Mysteries at least
- once a year.
- Not to solemnize marriage at forbidden times.
- To pray to God every day, especially at morning and evening.
SEVEN DEADLY SINS
ACCESSORIES TO SIN
By counseling, by commanding, by consenting, by provoking another to sin; by
praise of flattery, by concealment, by silence, or by defending that which is
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF TO PREPARE FOR CONFESSION
- Have you prayed to God upon rising and before eating and sleeping?
- During prayer were you distracted by other thoughts?
- Did you make the sign of the Cross carelessly?
- Have you attended Church services regularly?
- When in Church, have you been inattentive, laughed or talked
- Have you used the name of the Lord in swearing or in a joking
- Have you sworn or murmured against God?
- Have you been ashamed to make the sign of the Cross in front
- of others?
- Have you attended parties, movies, etc. during the hours of
- Church services?
- Have you failed to keep the fast or other rules of the Church?
- Have you believed in astrology, superstitions, fortune-tellers
- or the like?
- Have you strayed from the teachings of the Church by unbelief
- or indifference to the Faith?
- Have you failed to ask for God's help in every effort?
- Have you concealed sins at confession?
- Do you show your parents proper respect? Have you been rude
- to them, talked back or otherwise offended them?
- If your parents are reposed, have you prayed for them.
- Have you been disrespectful to members of the clergy, your
- elders, teachers or superiors?
- Have you been angry or irritated?
- Have you abused anyone? Used foul language? Struck someone?
- Offended someone in an argument?
- Have you raised your voice in anger?
- Have you joked or made fun of the handicapped, unfortunate,
- or elderly?
- Are you truly at peace with everyone?
- Have you asked forgiveness of those you may have offended?
- Have you failed to give aid to someone in need, especially
- when asked?
- Have you donated to the needs of the Church?
- Have you been cruel to animals?
- Have you taken something without asking?
- Have you failed to return a book or other thing that you have
- Have you been stubborn, insistent on pressing your point of
- Have you plotted or taken revenge on one who's offended you?
- Have you told falsehoods, distorted the truth, cheated, judged
- others or gossiped?
- Have you joked of the faults of others, or exposed the faults
- of another to make yourself the better?
- Have you been vain? Sought glory or praise for yourself?
- Does your inner peace disappear when others are unfair to
- you or judge you?
- Are you proud? Do you brag of your abilities, position or
- possessions? Do you consider yourself worthy or sinless in the
- sight of God?
- Have you been overly concerned with your appearance? Are you
- properly attired in God's house?
- The 7th commandment includes all sins of a sexual nature,
- either by thought, word, or deed, any of these must be confessed.
- Have you been envious of another's possessions, appearance
- or standing?
- Have you fulfilled all obligations faithfully? Have you been
- Have you been impatient? Fallen into despair or apathy? Had
- thoughts of suicide?
- Are you attached to smoking, alcohol, or other drugs? Food
- or drink?
- Do you give up your heart to money or other earthly possessions?
This information is edited from a post to the ORTHODOX mailing
list on April 1, 1996 by Fr. David Moser
, of St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church, Boise